Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Cookies: Low Carb Style


I like having some Christmas cookies around for the weekend.  I made Italian nut rolls and Chocolate Drop Cookies.  I made them lower carb by changing out some of the traditional ingredients. This way we can eat the sweets without it impacting either our carb count or sugar count.  Do you make the traditional cookies and suffer the consequence or eat less or do you change the recipe to meet your needs. 

Chocolate Drop Cookies

What I love about these is that they are no bake, just mix and drop onto wax paper. The traditional recipe is here with the low carb version in Parenthesis

1 stick of butter
2 cups sugar          (1 cup Splenda)
3 tablespoons unsweetened coco
1/2 cup milk           (1/2 cup chocolate Almond Milk)
3 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter   (1/2 cup almond butter)

Mix butter, sugar (Splenda) , coco, and milk on the stove and cook until it begins to boil.  Add the peanut butter (almond butter) and let it dissolve. Boil mixture for 2 minutes and then add in the oatmeal and vanilla. Mix well.  Drop by teaspoon onto wax paper and let cool. 

Carb count is per cookie is 4 each.

Italian Nut Ball
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup soft butter
2 egg yolks -keep the whites
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond
2 cups  all purpose flour (*flour substitute below)
2 egg whites beaten
1 1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup  sugar free jelly (strawberry and orange marmalade)

*Flour Substitute
1 cup Soy powder
2 cups protein powder
2 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons Splenda
Mix all in a food processor and mix into a powder use in place of flour.


In a large bowl mix the first six ingredients well. Blend in flour and nuts well. Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet and flatten. Brush with the egg whites and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.  When taken out of the oven make a depression in cookie with your finger and fill with jelly while still warm. Cool before storing. 

Carb count for these are .83 per cookie.

So do you change the recipes to meet your needs? Share how you do that will you?



2 comments:

  1. I don't alter my cookie recipes ... I just watch how many I eat (which is more than I should eat but not as many as I want).

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sound delicious. I love your will power. I know that once I start the will power will come but right now I am still making wrong choices.
    Keep up the good work and keep motivating me with your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!