Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

No Lines, No Waiting

I didn't make the title "Living with Cancer" because I have NOT yet learned to live with it. I am in the very early stages of learning to live with it.


I’ve been learning a few things along this path that we are on at the moment.  I Thought that I would share with you some of it. My warped sense of humor really has me laughing at these. I know that Cancer is not funny, but life sure is!!

1. There are no more lines at the doctor’s office. 
NONE! If I call in because I don’t feel well, I get right in… As in “Mrs. Millette, how long would it take for you to drive here?  OK, then we will see you as soon as you get here.”   Once I show up, I’m whisked down the hall and into an exam room.  I may not even have to sign in at the front desk to collect my labels, someone has them waiting for me when I show up. I'm moved along so fast it makes my head spin!  I'm in, out, and sent on my way at warp speed!  Now we all know why we wait at the doctor's office now don't we....

2. I no longer wait at the lab either. 
As soon as I show up at a lab, they move me to a room in the back so they can take my blood or some other fluid!  There are lots of fluid that labs want to look at.  I have a large collection of "Hats" to collect body fluids in and then move to some larger collecting receptacle for the lab to have. Trust me, no one person needs that many "Hats for fluids". I'm all set thank you very much.

3. Every time I show up some doctor wants my blood.
I walk into a room and roll up my sleeve so that they can have some before they even say anything.  Sometimes I start to unbutton my shirt because they want blood from the Chemo Port (AKA Pebbles). You know people, I wouldn’t feel so tired if you left me some of my own blood! 

4. I have a new meaning to the phrase “Washing my hair”.
 Since it now sits on a towel inside out drying while I do something else.  That one really cracks me up. You have to dry it inside out because you really want the cap to be dry when you put it back on so it looks really funny and don’t use the blow dryer or the curling iron any longer. 

So these are just a few of the things that we deal with every week and how they make us laugh at what is happening to us.   Having Cancer is not fun, dealing with cancer sure can be……

7 comments:

  1. I am glad that you have a sense of humor. Really you have to or you could go crazy!

    You should take a poll to see if you will have staight or curly hair when it returns. My mom had always had super straight hair until her hair grew back from breast cancer. It was strange seeing her with curly hair. It lasted for about a year and then it turned straight again. Cancer and the drugs to weird things to a person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I didn't understand anything about the various "hats" that you donate your bodily fluids in for the doctors. All I can picture is you peeing into a hat, which is funny enough. But I really hope you're not peeing into hats.

    Seeing as you're battling cancer, I think it's only fair that you don't have to fight any lines waiting to see the doc.

    You've always had a fabulous sense of humor and remarkably, it's intact despite the Big, Bad C. Good for you! Every time you crack wise, or laugh at something someone else did or said, you're flooding your body with endorphins which you can surely use right now.

    I hope by now Pebbles LaPorte is fully healed and donations that way are a bit easier for you. Sounds like vampires take less blood from you than your lab tests.

    Loved this story about you getting the express treatment at the doctor's office!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Lynn Marie,
    I'm sorry to hear about your cancer diagnosis, but rest assured that I will keep you close in my thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. God is with you! Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so appreciate your sense of humor. I would hope if I ever have to deal with cancer, that I would be the same way. Thank you for sharing with us about how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You seem to be able to keep your humor during this trying time, and that makes you an inspiration because of it. So, keep laughing; keep praying; keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your journey. You know I am praying for you and think about you all the time. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you have your sense of humour - I'm sure we'd get on well in person in that respect.

    Continuing to pray for you sister!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!