Monday, March 2, 2015
Spring, Oh Glorious Spring!
More snow (it's snowing while I type this) and more cold weather means out pellet stove is working 24/7 to keep me warm and I am very tired of wearing layers of clothing. So Spring had better be getting here soon and it will be Glorious!!
I know that you are waiting for the report from the transplant doctor. We had a beautiful day to drive up north to the Hospital. The 1 1/2 hour drive was just lovely. A nurse took several tubes of blood and then we hung around to see the doctor.
He told us that my proteins were climbing and that was not good. It looked like the ratio of cancer drugs to normal cells was 340/1. My heart sunk. He was going to do a test where each protein was counted by hand to see which protein was off. If it was only 1 protein, then we perhaps could change drugs and hit that one protein with a different chemo protocol and force it back to where it belongs.
If several proteins were out of wack, then he would want a bone marrow biopsy to see how much of my blood was cancerous. If that was between 40-50% then I get moved up the transplant list and start preparinging for that procedure. All I could think of was that my calendar was too full and that I didn't have time for this. The transplant requires me to stay up in the hospital for several weeks in isolation while my body heals. I don't want to do that!!
We agreed that we surely needed more tests to see what was going on. We left the hosptial discouraged and depressed. One thing we both agreed on was to let our prayer warriors know what was going on and to ask them to pray. So once we got home and told our daughter the news, we got our prayers warriors praying.
One told me that I was a miracle waiting to happen. Another told us that the test done down here would be wrong. As it turned out, they were both right.
Six days went by before we got the results of the latest test. Sure enough, he felt that since the test down here was calulated by a machine, the machine was wrong and the ratio is NOT 340/1 by in fact is 27/1. The bone marrow biopsy is off, and the stem cell transplant is off, well for at least 2 months. We head up there again at the end of April and retest.
So for now, we change nothing, we continue with our lives and love each other and those around us. We laugh and smile and work and live. We are grateful to all who have prayed for us, and held us up before God. We are even more greatful that God granted the desire of my heart to stay outside of the hospital for a bit longer.
So after a few short wild weeks, we are relaxing while it snows outside again.