Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wednesday - Yes Hodgepodge No.


Normally on Wednesday Joyce over at This Side of the Pond, has her Hodgepodge but she lives in NJ and just got her power back. I'm very glad that she is safe and that her home was not badly damaged. Now she still has all the clean up from having no power for almost a week!  What a smelly mess that must be. They still need help and a Nor'easter is on it's way to them. It's cold all the time this week with temperatures in the high 30's during the day and into the teens and 20's at night - with no power- no heat!!  

Yesterday was an important day here in the USA. It was the day to vote in our new President. I hope you voted. Many people fought so that you could vote.  Both Hubby and I voted after work and as it turned out we picked the perfect time.  It was 2:40 when we got to the polling place for our town. The lines were very short and in fact, we walked in, showed our ID and voted all under 15 minutes - most of that was walking  from the car down the halls and to the table to sign in.  It was great to see so many people filling in the ovals on the election form.  Yes, here we use a paper ballot. We have counting machines but the ballot is paper so there is something to count if a recount is needed or questioned. 

The photo above was the machine after I put in my ballot. I was the 2,014 who voted and put the ballot into the counter. Hubby used the other machine to put his ballot in and he was number 2,024. In all that is 4,038 at 2:40 in the afternoon and there are 2 polling places in our town. We have a population of 17,651 and that comes to about 10,000 registered voters in our town.  If the other polling place has 2 collecting bins with counters and they too have about the same number in those machines, then we may easily have had over 8,000 voters by 2:40 in the afternoon. If some of those 10,000 turned absentee ballots that number is even higher!  Polls closed at 7:00pm. That is a lot of people!  Good!  We all should be part of the process.

There was no yelling, fighting, no long lines and from what I heard, no issues with anyone.  We do things peacefully up here. How was it where you are.

As we all know by now, President Obama won another 4 years. The voters have spoken and all I can say is please pray for our President and even though he is the President of the USA,  God is still KING of the universe.  

7 comments:

  1. I didn't have any problems at the voter polls. I went early enough, before anyone got off of work. I watched the elections until 10:30 EST, I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I didn't find out who won until I woke up at 6am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't have any problems. I was #15 at our pole. Of course we were there around 6:45AM. There were about 4 or 5 different precints voting in the place we were. One of them had a really long line. Ours didn't yet.

    I'm so thankful to live in a country that gives us this privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the last week or so I heard lots of people say they'd voted early. So much so that I told my husband that I predicted our voting yesterday would be faster than usual. It was, too.

    We also use paper ballots and fill in the ovals just like we used to do on our tests in school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We vote by absentee ballot because my husband travels so often. He was actually in Pennsylvania last night. I felt more like the electorals voted. I am disappointed that even though many of us in California voted for Romney it didn't matter. That just isn't right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problems here - at my polling place or at any others from what I've heard. We went around 10:00ish yesterday morning and it probably took no more than 15 minutes (including walking to/from our car in the parking lot). I was #159.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what numbers we were when we voted. I know I was in a hurry to get in and out since I was on my lunch break, but we got right in. We don't have to show our ID's here in California (but we did when we were in Montana; I think we should have to show them, but what do I know?) We use paper ballets too with back markers to fill in the ovals, which is funny because in Montana we had voting machines, you'd think a more populated state would have more modern conveniences :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!