Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Wednesday Hodgepodge: A trip down Memory Lane




1. How do you typically react in a sudden, extreme, pressure-filled crisis? Would we want you nearby in an emergency?
Yes, you would want me nearby in an emergency. I stay pretty cool. Several years ago our home was broken into and I was the one that found it. I called the police and called Hubby. Even the police officer commented on how cool I was. Now, after they all left and Hubby was home, I washed all my clothes and started shaking. The thief's had gone through my dresser and the thought of someone touching my undies made my skin crawl.  

2. Caramel apple-caramel sundae-caramel corn-caramel macchiato...of the four, which caramel treat would you choose?
Caramel macchiato in my coffee! Low Carb of course.

3. Is there such a thing as destiny? Explain.
Destiny - Do I believe that "Something is out there controlling what happens to me?" Then No. I believe that God is in control and nothing happens that he does not allow to happen.  I may not like it, and I may grumble about it, But He is still in control.

4. What's your favorite piece of furniture? I'm referring to something currently in your possession as opposed to something on your wish list.

This side board belonged to my Memere (Grandmother). She came to this country from Canada looking for more opportunities for her children. She could not speak English and neither could her children, so she enrolled all her children in "English Only " schools so that they would all learn the language faster. She had her girls educated as well as her sons (at the time, girls didn't continue much past the 4th grade). She believed in education, she believed in the USA and she believed in a better life for anyone who wanted to work for it.  Too bad those beliefs seem to be disappearing. 

5. Wednesday night marks the start of the 2011 Baseball World Series. Did you know? Do you care? Will you be watching? Ever been to a professional baseball game? If you're not an American do you find the title 'World Series' annoying or amusing?
Not a Sports fanatic - sorry. That is why this coffee mug is so funny!

6. A sound that takes me back to my childhood is____________.
Parents telling their children that they are no good, or will never amount to anything. Those harsh words will haunt those children the rest of their lives.

7. On average, once you've linked your hodgepodge post to mine how many other participant blogs do you visit? Do you ever come back to the Hodgepodge later in the day or even the day after to read posts?
I visit about a dozen participant blogs, some early in the morning and the others once I'm home from work.  I do come back the following day to take a peek at a few more.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
Some people had their fireplaces and wood stoves going because I could see the smoke coming out of the chimney and the smell was wonderful. I do love the smell but it means it's cold enough to light those fireplaces and wood stoves.  We have a pellet stove and we have not turned it on yet.....but it will not be long.

12 comments:

  1. Good morning, Lynn Marie! New follower from the Wednesday Hodgepodge! Nice to meet you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen on #3. Love the stove. We don't have one or even a fireplace, but I remember when we lived on the farm we had a big buck stove. I'm with you on the World Series (at least this year) since the Reds aren't in it.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sideboard-what a special keepsake. Hope you have a nice day...it is rainy here and the temps are dropping. Its supposed to be really cold this weekend, but sunny, so I'll take it : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmmmmm, the scent of chimney smoke filtering down the neighborhood street. I too love it.

    Awwwwww, man that just irks me to no end what childhood statements parents made!!! Boy howdy, got my dander up on that one.

    Wednesday photo and HODGEPODGE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmmm Winter's definitely just around the corner and that fire looks so cosy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so miss my woodstove, there's nothing like wood heat to warm you up on those cold days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just re-read #6. I can't believe any parent would do that! They should not be allowed the privilege of having children!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that side board is beautiful!

    So sorry to read that your home was broken into, I think I would have reacted the same way. Very disturbing to think of someone violating your home in that way.

    Happy Wednesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The side bar is beautiful. I remember that story on the mug. No sports for me either!
    The stove looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I seem to be the only one who seems to care that the World Series starts tonight (I'm watching it while catching up on my blog reading). That's ok, I'm a big enough fan to make up for the rest of you all! ha!

    That sideboard is beautiful ... and it's connection to your grandmother makes it all the more special. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute mug, and the reply to the comment that goes with the photo had me cracking up!
    :-)

    Beautiful desk too, looks like it's in excellent condition too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet that stove keeps you warm! I'm with you about the caramel macchiato, but you are great to go low cal with it!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!