Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Marching into the Wednesday Hodgepodge



1. My real life friends came through with another question this week so thank you real life friends. When you've eaten in a restaurant do you complete their comment card? Do you take online surveys highlighted at the bottom of store receipts?

If the service is either really good or really bad I will complete the comment card and take the survey on line. But if it is average, then no I don't.

2. The (US) ban on women in combat was lifted at the end of January. It will probably be next year before specifics are worked out, but its been reported over 200,000 front line positions will eventually open up to women. Your thoughts?

Personally I am against this but since so many woman wanted it and now have it they better shut up if the draft ever comes back and they are drafted. And they better shut up about signing up for selective service when they turn 18. You can't have the privileges without taking the responsibility

3. In looking back at all the blog posts you've written, what's your favorite post title?
One is the Loneliness Number, it was about summer-I love summer!

4. What's worse-overly permissive parents or overly protective parents? Did your own parents lean more to the permissive or the protective category? If you're a parent where do you fall?

Well they are both pretty terrible aren't they?  I mean I've sat in restaurants with those overly permissive parents and wanted to slap them for allowing such terrible behavior from a 3 year old.  No the kid should never throw food on the floor just because it's fun to play with food.  I've also see those "Helicopter" parents come with the college kid to a job interview and not just sit outside, but come INTO the interview with the kid and answer the questions!  Oh my, they are both terrible!
My parents were neither. I grew up at a time when we played outside all day and any adult would yell at you if you were doing something wrong so you everyone raised every kid in the area. I fall a bit over the middle towards over protective as our kids were not healthy kids so I did hover a bit if they were sick.

5. Candlelight-moonlight-firelight-bright lights in the big city...which one's your favorite?
Candlelight for me. Or firelight (fireplace or pellet stove light)

6. Dr. Seuss's birthday was celebrated on Saturday. What's a favorite book you remember (Seuss or otherwise) from your own childhood? Did books play an important role in your growing up years? Explain.
“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know.”

― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

We didn't have a lot of books at home. My parents didn't read much at all. If we wanted a book to read we went to the library or the bookmobile that came around to the schools. If my parents saw us reading, it was a sign that some house chore was not getting done so we got yelled at for not doing something other than sitting around. They grew up in the depression so "work" was more valued than "reading".
7. To quote Dr. Seuss...
"From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere."
from One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
Share something funny you've recently read, seen or heard.

Have you seen my Hubby? He is a source of laughter all the time! He gets me laughing or smiling or rolling my eyes every day!  OK what I find really funny to see is him walking August.  See Hubby is 6"3" tall and August is 11"tall and yet Hubby walks August.  It just looks so funny to see a tall big guy walking the smallest skinniest dog we have ever owned.  It makes me laugh all the time.

8. Insert your own random thought here.
While looking back at our older post for question #3 I noticed  I talk about our winter weather A LOT!  Well this is NH and so weather is what we have a lot about in the winter.  We have another storm coming Thursday morning....Really?  Again? I'm hoping the weather man is wrong and it all blows out to sea.  I'll let you know.

17 comments:

  1. When both daughters graduated from high school, they were given Oh, the Places You'll Go with a letter from me written on the inside. This is one of my favorite Dr.Seuss books. Hope not to much snow for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a cool gift for your girls!!! Great idea! Looks like the storm may die out on top of us. Lots of strong wind but so far no snow.

      Delete
  2. You have to love Oh, The Place You'll Go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your answers to numbers 2 and 4, and I totally agree.

    Every time I think the weather is bad here, I always think of you, then I know it could be a lot worse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, Well I'm so glad that I help you with your weather! Too funny. It does make me enjoy Spring and summer more however.

      Delete
  4. Good morning! I enjoyed your answers...and I discovered the same thing when I looked back at my blog post titles..I talk about some things A LOT! haha Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I love meeting new bloggers and then traveling to their blogs. What fun.

      Delete
  5. I saw on the news this morning about the snowstorm that's headed that way. My heart goes out to you. I was complaining about the windy, 32 degree weather I woke up to today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 32 is cold so my heart goes out to you. Problem here is when the temp is 32 the wind chill brings it down to 12! But it looks like the storm will die over us brining us lots of wind and rain/sleet mix but not a large amount of snow. That's OK with me!

      Delete
  6. Totally agree with your women in combat answer. If they want it, fine,I have no issue with it as long as they can do it right and meet the qualifications.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying that the storm does in fact go out to sea. {{hug}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Have you seen my Hubby?" Oh, my...I loved that. Sounds like something I could have said. It's good that you can laugh together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have it marked on my calender to do Hodge Podge next week! Oh that was one of my favorite Dr. Seuss's too! Loved reading your answers! Stay warm for the next round of weather!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do agree with your answer about women in combat; if they want it, they need to follow through with all of it indeed. I can see why you right so much about the weather, what else is there to do when it is sooo cold and snowy outside but "lament" about it :) Hoping the next storm bypasses you guys!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. We ended up with no snow (not complaining!!). I'm sure it's funny to see your hubs with the teeny tiny dog : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I fell between doing both but I am and always will be a helicopter! I'm not happy about that but I can't help myself. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!