Wednesday, January 16, 2013
It's time once again for Hodgepodge
Thank you Joyce for the questions, click the above button to join in.
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013-fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creation, passion/passionate, yolo (an acronym for you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wings, and guru.Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why. Go here to read more about how the words were chosen.
I am going to pick yolo as my memory will not allow me to remember what this means so every time I see it I have to remind myself what it means all over again. What? People are just too lazy to write the word out! No wonder they no longer teach penmanship, no need to use it.
2. When was the last time you rode a train? Where did you go?
WOW I don't think I have ever traveled by train...
3. Bagels-yay or nay? Favorite 'flavor'? Favorite topping?
Yes to the bagels. I don't eat them often but I do like them.
Grilled - but that is hard to get so I'll take toasted and I have 2 flavors that I like
Pumpkin Pie Bagel from Panera with regular cream cheese
Pumpkin bagel from Dunkin donuts with Pumpkin cream cheese
Once pumpkin season is over then I like to try different flavors to mix it up so I usually find something that will appeal to me.
4. 'Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
I would go all the way back to Star Trek The Motion Picture. I am fascinated by what may be out there. I love the stories about seeing new planets and new species. God created all that we see, who knows that he didn't do it again "OUT THERE".
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months....what say you? Do you think kids perform better if seperated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
I grew up at a time when there were single gender schools. We had an all girl and an all boy high school. At times, in grammar school the girls and boys were separated for gym and "Sex Ed". It was OK and I don't think we learned better because we were separated by gender. I am more concerned about what these students learn in general because I see kids graduating who cannot fill out a job application, or balance a checkbook. They don't know to cook a meal or talk face to face with a person. They have spent way too much time on video games and take out and are not ready for the real world work force.
6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
OK~~~~~ so there is the fact that I don't have to make the bed, or clean the towels. Oh and there is the fact that most have a breakfast bar. Hot coffee at all hours of the day and night is great as well. Some have an indoor pool that is heated (or at least a hot tub) where I can warm up. Then there is the reason why we are in a hotel, like visiting friends, touring some state and the sights, or on vacation relaxing. Oh you only wanted 1 thing? oops!
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
Yes, my word is Joy. The story behind my choice is simple, I want to notice all the wonderful things that God has done for me that I otherwise never notice. I especially want to see joy in the mist of pain because as a country we have seen a lot of pain.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
After a few days of Spring like weather that melted most of our snow,we are going back into the deep freeze with more snow on the way. Good thing we had a "touch of Spring", at least we know it's coming.......