Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Monday, September 30, 2013

Getting Ready for Fall in NH



We are still getting ready for the fall/winter season. Another bird house went up for our feathered friends. I painted it the dark red that I love so much. I say, if you have a color you love, share it! In this case, I'm sharing it with the birds.



It's next to the other birdhouse that is just stained.  I like the look of it but I think I like the red one better, I wonder which one the birds will like??



Together with the bird feeder they make a great path from the trees to the house.  The bird feeder was in need of some repair, the rope that connected the top to the bottom broke. Hubby fixed it, I hope the birds appreciate it.  Since the bears in our area are well behaved and not a problem, it's safe to put these up.  We have to make sure that all the feeders are down in spring because when bears wake up from their hibernation, they wake up hungry!



The outside summer decorations are put away.  The vines around the arbor are cut back to the ground. This makes the back yard look so bare. However the deck chairs are still up for those few moments when the sun still comes out and warms us up. They will be down soon however.





The fire place is clean and ready to light up. I do admit that I love a fire in the evening.  The mantle is all set and welcoming (well I think it's welcoming at least). The dogs have a great stay but they were not cleaned, just told to get ready for their photo to be taken.  Becke is 13 1/2 (the lab) and August is 2 (Not the lab - really he's a Chinese Crested, Powder Puff)


While working in the yard the other day, Hubby found this huge catapilla. It was chewing on our lialac bush.  No idea what it was, but we found it a new home.

The double windows are coming down and the house if getting "buttoned up".  How about you?  My DIL told me once that her fall cleaning consists of moving the sweaters from the back of the closet to the front and putting out the pumpkin place mats.  Our fall readiness list is a bit longer....then again, she lives in San Diego! 

12 comments:

  1. Our preparation for fall isn't too time-consuming. I don't do a lot of seasonal decorating, and there's not a lot of outdoor work to be done. And since we'll still have nice weather for another month or so, it's too early to put away our deck furniture ... it will be a nice place to sit in the afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I sometimes wish we didn't have a lot to do either, but the truth is we do. The fun stuff I don't mind but having the furnice cleaned, the fireplace cleaned and making sure the lanters are clean and working are always a mess. We lose power a lot up here in the winter so we need to be ready.

      Delete
  2. We haven't started cleaning up for fall outside yet. It has been on my mind and we will have to do it soon. The fun stuff like cleaning out the flowerbeds and garden. It is always sad when I put the outdoor toys away. I have so much fun watching he kids run and play outside.

    The picture of your living room is very cozy. I can see myself curled up with a good book and a roaring fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendi, come on over and I'll make a pot of tea for us to share while the fire roars! I know its a bit of a dirve for you but the autumn color up here is just loverly.. :)

      Delete
  3. Since our weather stays mild until winter, we don't do a lot of fall preparations. I do have some outside decorations out, and will be adding inside decorations, this week.

    I like your birdhouses and feeder. How thoughtful of the birds you are! I'm sure it's much appreciated :) We have a feeder, but all of our bird houses came down when we had our trees cut. Perhaps we can put up some new ones in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to have about 1/2 dozen birdhouses but over time they fell down, or blew away or whatever so it's nice to have some back up. I hope to put 1 more inside a tree in the yard, but not sure what color it will be. I will have to look at what paint I have left over from other projects and just pick one. Maybe next weekend.....

      Delete
  4. I love the bird houses. How sweet and I think I like the red one best too. Becke and August look very cozy and adorable as always. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if birds see color so I'm looking forwarded to seeing which house fills first. I'm so excited about your book, looking forwarded to it coming out.

      Delete
  5. LOL with your DIL, but I do agree, we don't have to do much fall preparation; get the comforter on the bed, change the flip flops to shoes, that's about the extent of my fall/winter readiness.

    Lots of hard work you guys do. I will be curious what color the birds like in the birdhouses myself. Should be an interesting experiment to watch for over the months ahead.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty, Yes our DIL says it takes about 20 minutes to get ready for fall. Here, it takes a few weeks.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a busy weekend, you got a lot done. The dogs look so nice laying together on their bed! Love the birdhouses too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs lay on the bed together a lot. Becke loves her little brother and cuddles up with him. August loves the attention! So it's a win-win for them.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!