Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Monday, April 8, 2013

Spring in the Snow


This is a large part of our front yard. We still have a lot of snow in our yard with some frozen ground splattered here and there.  On one side of the house, it still is way more snow than ground as we have a lot of woods on that side of the house.


So we rake the frozen ground around the piles of snow. Ever rake frozen gound? Let me tell you it's not easy.. and it looks really silly to be raking the gound between snow piles

Saturday I really wanted to work on the yard and Hubby was willing to help me. However the weather was not very conducive to spring clean up, so I wore 3 layers (shirt, sweatshirt, flannel coat) ear muffs, two layers of gloves (winter gloves with garden gloves over that) and out I went! Hubby wore a long sleeved tee shirt, no gloves, coat, sweatshirt or anything else, and out he went!
YUP, we found that the section of yard right up against the house was the most thawed out so we worked there. Plus, the sun was shinning on us which help add to the delusion that it was warmer than it really was.  In fact we were frozen and that was the inspiration to work faster and "get it done".


After cleaning out the leaves and winter weeds we covered the area between the house and the walkway with a combination of pea gravel and stones. Hubby carried the bags of rocks over and I spread them out covering the plants that have already come up.  The front yard hose will go next to the window, where you see the hose cover.  Since it is still well below freezing at night, we don't want to take out the hoses or turn on the outside water just yet. 

We went shopping and took off a few layers because we would be in the car and then inside the store however, the store was cold and we were frozen by time we got out of there.  Back inside the car we headed over to Dunkin Donuts for HOT coffee and then back to work. There are a lot of Dunkin Donuts shops around here and I think Hubby knows where every one is located.  A talent that I love!!!

Hubby hopes to get out the chainsaw and take down some trees in the front, perhaps that will bring in more sunshine and help melt the snow and warm up the ground.  I'm hoping that it's warmer and that I don't have to blog about our trip to the emergency room! 

Sunday we had a great morning worhip service. Later, I did some laundry, and then the much needed nap (oh why did I give my parents such a hard time over naps when I was little!) and then we finished off the weekend with a great small group meeting.  

I hope that you too had a nice weekend and that it was warm enough to enjoy being out there.  

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like a hard-working weekend for you. We had a nice one, definitely warmer than yours. I took a nap on Sunday afternoon too. That is a definite favorite thing of mine, a Sunday afternoon nap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naps are so nice no matter what age we are. I'm glad you got one as well.

      Delete
  2. I spent time outside working this weekend. Thankfully it was warmer here. I hope that some of the warmth that was in the midwest will make it your way soon! I agree about the naps. Whenever the kids grumble about naps I think how nice it would be to lie down for an hour every afternoon.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat that was out your way is coming here but it's bringing rain with it. Still, rain will melt snow...

      Delete
  3. Sounded like a nap was definitely in order after all that hard work. ;-) Hoping along with you that there will be no blog about an ER trip. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ended up not getting to the trees today, maybe tomorrow if the rain holds off so at least we didn't have to go to the ER.

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine raking frozen ground! You definitely deserved that nap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a odd feeling to be raking frozen ground but we were not the only ones out there raking the ground. It's part of life in NH.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about the chain saw and those trees--and hoping not to blog about an ER visit! I feel that way every time I see Ed get his out! Hopefully, there will only news of success, for both of us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel the same dread when Hubby climbs the ladder as well. I like his feet on the ground.

      Delete
  6. Our Sundays were similar! There's nothing like a Sunday afternoon nap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do like a good nap! So glad you got a nap as well.

      Delete
  7. I still don't miss that sort of weather. Give me the Florida sun, anyday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, you can come up here anytime you want to feel the frostbite as it attacks your toes or breath air that freezes your lungs. Come up anytime!!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, hopefully we get some warmer weather so the ground will defrost now!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!