Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Recipe of the week: Spinach & Hamburger Casserole


Looking for a fast dinner seems to be the norm around here lately and so either the crock pot or the casserole dish comes out early in the morning. I like having dinner ready when I get home from work, one thing I don't have to think about. This week it was the casserole dish. I wanted something extra healthy and knew we needed to have some extra veggies and this casserole is perfect for just that. In no time the prep work is done and it's in the oven, making time for getting a hold on the laundry. Question - how can 2 people create so much laundry? I'm thankful to have the clothes so I'm not complaining but it seems like the hamper gets full mighty fast some days. Anyhow I digress - make this sometime, it's spicy so adjust the spices to your liking and serve with a nice crusty bread (for those not living low carb)


Spinach & Hamburger Casserole

1 pound hamburger

1 Onion

1/2 Red Pepper chopped

1 can tomatoes w/green chili

12 oz spinach (If frozen allow it to thaw first)

8 oz cheddar cheese (cubed)

2 Teaspoons Chili seasoning

Crushed red peppers to taste


Cook hamburger with seasonings then drain off the fat.

In a large greased casserole dish combine the seasoned hamburger, 1/2 of the cheese, the tomatoes with chili, and spinach top with remaining cheese and bake for 40 minutes at 350.

Makes about 6 servings with net carb count of only 4 per servings. If you don't like spinach, then any vegetable will do so add your favorite and enjoy.

Since it's been so cold (in the 30's only) having the oven on is a bonus as well. I sit with a cup of vanilla/caramel chi and relax while dinner cooks in the oven. What a way to end the day.

How do you like to end your day? What warm dinners is your family enjoying tonight?

1 comment:

  1. Another great recipe!! I like ones that are "simple" like this. We use our crock pot at least one day a week and lately I've been trying to look at casseroles like this to make ahead and then pop in the oven especially on busy days. I'm with you; where does the laundry come from?

    Tonight we are having a chicken/carrot/potato type meal. I got one of those cooking bags from the store with the spices already in it. Will put my chicken, carrots (the baby kind so I don't have to cut them) and wash/cut a few potatoes to add into the bag with the carrots and chicken. I'll make it at lunch and put it in the oven on low temperature so it will cook all afternoon and help warm up the house (I work at home so its no problem to run the oven since I'll be here :)

    thanks for sharing the recipe and enjoy the day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!