Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Reaching Toward Heaven in 2011: Song and Reading



This journey that I have started on is calling me to be a woman of praise.  The weather yesterday had more wet snow in it.  The snow froze on the ground and in our area, the street became an ice ring so instead of going to mid week service, I stayed home and spent time with God.  Hubby was so tired that he was sound asleep all evening so I had the entire time alone (except for Becke the wonder dog).

I sang, prayed, read the Bible and began a new book "Under the Overpass: A Journey of Faith on the Streets of America" by Mike Yankoski. Mike hears a sermon about being the Christian you say you are and it stays with him and he thinks about it and decides to live as a homeless person for 5 months to see if his faith is real or if he is a believer because his life is good and believing is easy. I'll let you know how it moves along.  

What I enjoyed about the evening alone with God, was the one on one time with God. Although I love going to worship and really enjoy the service, the people, the joint worship, there is something special with time just spent with Him and me.  He reminds me of people to add to my prayer list. He allows me to really hear the words of the songs I am singing. And while I'm reading the Bible, I see something new in the words I read.

"I am praying to you because I know you will answer, O God. Bend down and listen as I pray.  Psalm 17:6. (NLT) He Listens To Me. He Bends Down to Better Hear Me!!!  Just Him and me...and what a wonderful experience it is.  

Have you had that experience? 

1 comment:

  1. I believe that our communal time with one another strengthens our alone time with God. Likewise, I believe that our alone time strengthens our communal time. My greatest experiences in life are not just confined to one or the other. I am glad that your alone time that evening brought you closer to God. Although the time together gives us encouragement, confession, and love, our time alone with God allows us to really meditate on instilling these values. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!