Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Friday, December 17, 2010

Quick Tip Friday: Chalk Board

Outfit # 22 and still counting. 8 more to go. One of my favorite spots in the house!


I did this project a few weeks ago but just got around to posting about it.  I have seen lots of chalk boards in kitchens and thought how cool they all were. I figured one day I would get around to making one and finally I did.


I started with this very old and much used pizza pan that had seen it's better days. After I scrubbed it really well to get the old grease and rust off of it I put it into a box in our garage, because it was too cold to do this project outside. And I mean cold, that week was the first week we had temps in the teens!!!!



Spray paint comes in either the "paint on type" or the "spray on type" in either Black or Green. I chose the Black spray on type.  I found mine at a craft store but I think you can also get it at a hardware store. Make sure the box is nice and deep if you are in an area where you can not do this outside. The spray is very fine and will go everywhere!
I started with 2 back to back coats.


Wait 24 hours and then I added another another 2 coats spraying in the opposite direction from what I had done the day before and waited 24 hours more before I took it out of the box.







Before you use it, "season it" by rubbing all over it with chalk then erase it - and that is all there is to it.
The first message was of course about coffee!

Hanging on the wall when you walk in.  I like my bright  kitchen!


Because I used a Pizza pan it's magnetite - here is a note to our Grandchildren!

Have a great weekend, be thankful for your life, smile at someone and Lord willing, I'll be here Monday. 

5 comments:

  1. Cute! I like that you repurposed an old pan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea. I would love a chalkboard in my kitchen, and I have just the spot where something like this would work wonderfully! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, LynnMarie, I LOVE this idea ~ and what timing!! Just YESTERDAY I was looking at my rusted and extremely well-used cookie sheet. I was thinking to myself, I wonder what a person could do with such a thing? And, boy, did you deliver! I love chalkboards, and I plan to use this very idea! You are a gem, thank you! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea. I love your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever idea!! I agree with Debbie; I love your kitchen too; looks very open and big!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!