Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Low Carb Hot Chocolate


There is something about shopping in the cold, or taking the dog for a walk in the cold that makes me want a hot cup of cocoa with whipped cream. There are lots of hot chocolate recipes out there and have long been a great gift to give, but if you are living on a low carb lifestyle, you know that you can't really have them because of the sugar, the powered milk, the powered creamer or the powered pudding mix that is in most of them so when I wanted a cup of hot chocolate, I needed to come up with something that would work for me. Here is what I did.


I am learning to really love this unsweetened Almond Milk it has 1 carb for every 8 ounces and it taste pretty good.

2/3 cup unsweetened Almond Milk

1/3 cup heavy Cream

1 teaspoon Hershey's Coca

Sugar Free Syrup to taste and Whipped Cream

Slowly heat the milk and the cream on the stove when warm, whisk in the chocolate slowly. There are 2 carbs for 1 Tablespoons! So less than 1 carb for this hot cocoa, add the sweetener of your choice, I used caramel sugar free sweetener and top it with whipped cream. Total net carbs? 2! Now after I get home and I want to warm up, I can have hot cocoa too!



Try it, let me know how you like it and what you did different.




Christmas Outfit #12 of the Day:

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing-I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds wonderful, thank you. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. never tried almond milk, but this recipe does sound delicious; might have to try it out this season! hope the day is a great one!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious ... I'm not a big fan of regular hot chocolate (too sweet), so I'll have to try this to see if I like it.

    P.S. Love your wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being diabetic, this would be great for me to try.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!