Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Another little Christmas & Low carb Chocolates



With all the sweets that are around these days, it's hard not to break down and eat some. And there is nothing wrong with that. Sweets are a blessing from God as well.  And I love Chocolate! We all love Chocolates right?  Well I do know one person that does not like chocolate at all. He is not allergic to it, just doesn't like it. Strange man. Anyhow, I dug through my cookbooks for a low carb cookie and found a few.

OK before the recipe, a quick story.  I pulled out the ingredients I needed to make these and began to hunt down my hand mixer.  I looked in the cabinet, in the other cabinet, in a few more cabinets and then began to panic as to where it was!  Since I don't bake in the summer I put it away safe right?  But where...I couldn't find it at all and then remembered that it really wasn't working very well the last time I used it. It was 30 something years old after all.  In fact the speeds no longer worked at all and in order to get it to work, I had to get it ready and as soon as I plugged it in, the beaters would start up. So out it went. I figured I would look for a replacement at the thrift stores or yard sales and then....life got in the way and I never did it.  Enter my Superhero!!!

Hubby to the rescue, he got on the computer, found one I liked, got in the car, drove to the store (and it was lightly snowing making the roads slick) on the 20th of December and went into the store with all the other last minute Christmas shoppers and got me a new mixer. Not just any mixer mind you he got me a  KitchenAide Mixer!!!  I felt bad that we were replacing an domestic servant at this time of year, and I know the cost of KitchenAide Mixers but Hubby told me that it was on sale and it was my Christmas Present. So I got an early Christmas present. I put that new Domestic Servant right to work and here is the result.


Here is a great low carb chocolate treat that you will want to try even if you are not living a low carb lifestyle. It has more of a cake texture than a cookie texture but still it's really good. It comes from the Atkins Cookbook

Chocolate Coconut Macaroons

4 large egg whites
1 cup granular sugar substitute (using 1/2 cup of Splenda and 1/2 cup of store brand works the best for me)
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1/2 teaspoon chocolate extract
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes, chopped

Heat oven to 325 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In a bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed beat egg whites until soft peaks form. With mixer still on slowly add sugar substitute and continue to beat until still. Stir in coconut and chocolate extracts.
Mix cocoa with coconut flakes. Stir into egg mixture. Drop batter onto prepared baking sheets in slightly rounded teaspoons. Bake 12-15 minutes until set.




Net Carbs are 2.5 for 3 macaroons. Now if you make them using a tablespoon, then they are 2.5 per macaroon.

Hubby liked them as well and it's nice to have cookies floating around the house at this time of year.

Winter Outfit # 26

3 comments:

  1. My daughter made macaroons yesterday...not the low carb variety but they are delicious : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never made macaroons and have always wanted to. I never would have thought of making a chocolate version ... I've printed this recipe to add to our cookie baking list today.

    Enjoy this week leading up to Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a wonderful gift. How sweet is he!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!