Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Recipe of the week: "Crullers Muffins"


One day last week I wanted to make something light and sweet. I looked through my recipes and through other blogs that also have low carb recipes. I found myself over at Your Lighter Side where she has 250 Low Carb Recipes!  Jamie loves to eat (don't we all) and loves to try out new things.  I found her recipe for Donuts and used it as it was written,well almost, I did change it up a bit. Here is her recipe and in red is what I did.

Low-Carb, (gluten-free) Donuts (of the oopsie variety)

3 eggs, separated           3 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp baking powder       1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 packet Splenda (I used Truvia)
2 Tbsp Davincis Vanilla Syrup (Sugar Free) (I used Chocolate)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

In a bowl, whip egg whites with cream of tartar until peaks are stiff (about 5 minutes).

In separate bowl, blend cream cheese, yolks, baking powder and davincis sugar free syrup. Adding half of the yolk batter at a time to the whites and using a tall spoon (I use an iced tea spoon), make a lazy sine wave through the batter once. Turn the bowl 90 degrees and repeat. Add second half of the yolk mix and repeat sine wave two more times.

Place in ungreased, nonstick angel food miniature cake pans.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove pans from oven and let cool on a cooling rack.Makes 4 crullers.


I put it in a muffin tin and got 6 muffins!  The recipe also has a chocolate glaze for you to poor over the top. Instead, I sprinkled cinnamon/splenda mix while they were still warm.  Carb count was 2 each.  Taste was great and they would have been great with the glaze but I really wasn't in the mood for chocolate.  
Jamie, these are just wonderful, light and tasty.  Thank you for all your hard work in the kitchen for us readers.  
What do you grab when you want something sweet and light - besides your husband I mean.

1 comment:

  1. It looks yummy. I think I am going to start following Your Lighter Side, I need some motivation. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!