Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Recipe of the week: Morning Glory Muffin Squares


Carbquik is my new best friend. I found out that in some places, a person can get this in the store, but up here I had to order it on line.  On the box are several recipes and I plan to make many of the them but the first one I made came from there website. I did make some changes and they are in the ( )

Morning Glory Muffin Squares

Streusel Topping:
1/2 cup Carbquik
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/3 cup Splenda (I used part Splenda and part Nevella)
2 Tbs. firm butter

Muffins:

2 cups Carbquik
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4-1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup raisins (optional-I left this out)
2 Tbs. splenda or other sweetener
2/3 cup CarbCountdown milk (I did sub 1/3 cup heavy cream and 1/3 cup water)
2 Tbs. oil
1 egg


Instructions:
Heat oven to 375. In a small bowl mix the streusel ingredients, cutting in the butter, using fork until mixture it crumbly.
In a large bowl, stir 2 cups Carbquik, pumpkin pie spice, nuts, carrots, raisins (optional), and sweetener. Stir in milk, oil, and egg. Pour into ungreased 8 inch square pan. Sprinkle with streusel.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes before serving. Serve warm. Makes 9 servings.
This gave us 9 large squares of yummy goodness.


Each square come out to 3.6 carbs each and they are pretty big, add some bacon to it and you have a really good low carb breakfast! Oh yes and did I tell you it was good!  Well it was, a bit of carrot flavor in it from the shredded carrots.  You can bet I'll be making this again and soon!

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!