Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Becke the Wonder Dog


Becke is just over 12 years old and she can still work her "magic".  As a therapy and reading dog she is use to being with people who are afraid.  Sometimes they are afraid because they are in the hospital and they don't feel well and all those doctor's and machines make them afraid. Sometimes they are afraid because they don't read very well and are afraid some one will laugh at them. Sometimes they are afraid of the dog. Becke is use to all of this and so when our oldest grandson told us he was willing to work on his fear of dogs, and with his parents close by, Becke went to work, working her magic.  

Allowing Ben the choice to end his time with Becke put him in control and that made a HUGE difference. Becke, stayed calm and allowed Ben to just pat her back by her tail. Teaching him how to pat a dog was easy and he followed directions perfectly.  After a few minutes Ben backed up and
 Becke walked away. She returned a few seconds later and Ben started patting her again.  Within a few minutes Ben was sitting on the floor with Becke and rubbing her side, then her tummy. He never wanted to pat her face or her head which I was told him was just fine with me and Becke. After all he was in control!  Then he went and sat with his parents. Again Becke walked away - but then the most precious moment happened.

Ben moved a toy that was between him and Becke, then sat on the floor. Becke sat on the floor a few feet away.  Ben got down on his stomach facing Becke, Becke laid down facing Ben. Ben crawled toward Becke, Becke crawled Ben. They met in the middle and Ben patted Becke's head.

It all took less than 30 minutes and Ben was seeking out Becke to sit with her and pat her. How brave of Ben to take on Becke!  She is 62 pounds and is a big dog after all. Yet Ben wanted to try and he did great!

When it came time for all of them to return to the hotel, Ben told his parents he wanted to stay with us so he could have some Becke time.  By 9:30 it was bed time and here is Ben.


Between Ben's bravery and Becke's magic, he did spend the night with both dogs on the bed with him. And he did great!  He was up at 5:30 with them as well!!! 

See why I call my Becke the Wonder Dog?  She just has magic (or is it that she IS magic?)

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet, sweet story. You do have a special girl there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story and what a wonderful dog and brave little boy. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one of the most heart-warming stories I've ever read, being that I'm a huge dog lover myself. Becke is just precious and big kudos to your grandson for taking that leap of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, what an adorable story. Love the photos, and just looking at the top pic makes me want to give Becke a big hug. What an extraordinary dog she is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this story, it brought tears to my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes when I saw the picture of Ben sleeping with both Becke and August.

    That you call your sweet Becke The Wonder Dog is no wonder to me. I've seen her in action as a therapy dog and she has no equal.

    How lucky Ben is to have not only Becke, but you as his devoted and formerly dog-phobic, grannie to gently to help him overcome his fear of dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a beautiful story. I think Becke should have her own blog with her stories how she helps people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brought tears to my years. So precious. I am so glad that Ben was able to calm his fears with Becke the Wonder Dog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!