Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Friday, September 30, 2011

Pumpkin! There is Pumpkin Everything!


With Fall officially here I am seeing Pumpkin every where, haven't you? I mean it's pumpkin muffins; pumpkin coffee cake; pumpkin donuts, not to mention pumpkin coffee (my favorite), pumpkin tea and pumpkin hot cocoa.  I love the Dunkin Donuts pumpkin coffee and even if it is cheaper than Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Coffee it can still add up. I am trying very hard to be frugal and not waste extra money so with that in mind, I set off to make my own pumpkin syrup - low carb style.

So, the other morning I got up, put my "chemist's" hat on and created this. Now I will tell you that there are lots of Googled sites all named "Pumpkin syrup" so if you want, look around. I mean syrup is syrup right?  Any how this is what I did.


1/2 cup Sweetner (Your choice)
2 Heaping Tablespoons of Pumpkin Puree
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 cup water

Put everything into a blender and really mix it all up. Pour into a saucepan and cook on low until it starts to simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes stirring often until it resembles maple syrup.  Let it cool for 10 minutes or so and then put it in a jar in the fridge. I guess you could keep it in there 4 weeks but with my luck, it will be gone by this weekend and I will have to have to make more.
cooking on the stove
sticking to the spoon like maple syrup
In the jar ready for the fridge. Add a couple of tablespoons to your coffee, tea, or hot coco for a sweet, tasty, frugal treat.

Have a nie weekend everyone. Lord willing, I'll be here Monday with the hot cocoa story.




7 comments:

  1. I enjoy some pumpkin (pie, bread, cheesecake) but I have never cared for flavored coffees and teas. I do love all the fall decor and colors though : ) Its supposed to be in the 40's here on Saturday...guess fall is finally here!

    Enjoy your weekend-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flavored cappuccinos but have never tried the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently made some pumpkin biscuits. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I don't know if I'd like that or not. About the only pumpkin I eat is pumpkin pie. May have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome. Yes, everywhere I go it's all about pumpkin everything. I'm glad I like pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not much of a pumpkin eater, but I love the spices that you put in the syrup. I'll bet it's good :) Great idea to make your own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anxious to hear how it tastes in the cocoa etc! Got to give you credit for researching this and making it yourself! That is awesome!!

    I have never had pumpkin coffee; might have to splurge and try some sometime!

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!