Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Recipe of the Week: Veggie, Pork Bake


We have had a financially tight month. Read hubbies blog here if you want to know what October hit us with. Anywhoo, I wanted to make good low carb meals using just what we had on hand. In the past these meals would be called "Stomach Pump Special" or "Moms Mystery Meal" by our children. But I would not let that stop me from experimenting with their health and they have both survived very well thank you. I've gotten better over time - this I call "Veggie-Pork Bake" I know- I'm so good at creating titles aren't I?


1 lb ground pork

1/2 green pepper chopped

1/2 chopped onion

1/2 cauliflower diced

1 can mushrooms

4 eggs

1/2 cup heavy cream

2 heaping tablespoons diced tomatoes with green chilies

4 slices mozzarella cheese cut into cubes

Seasonings included

Garlic powder

Onion powder

Italian seasoning

Sea salt

Pepper

Crushed red peppers

Dill seeds

Cook the ground pork, peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower and the onion till meat is brown and all liquid is evaporated. Add the spices to your taste to this meat mixture. Grease a 7x12 shallow baking dish. Mix the eggs, cream and tomatoes with chili in a separate bowl. Place the meat mixture into the baking dish, place the mozzarella cheese on top of the meat mixture, pour the egg mixture on top and top that with thick slices of onions. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Makes 6 servings at 4 carbs each.



It was really good! I think next time I'll add more of the tomatoes with chilli and perhaps use Colby Jack cheese but I will be making this again. I love it when I have everything on hand and help keep the food budget down. So when you have to cook what you have on hand and make a meal out of it, do you make a casserole or soup? Which is your favorite?

2 comments:

  1. I usually make a casserole. I never think about making a soup ... and I'm not sure why. I'll have to do a search online for some soups to add to my "go-to" list. ;-)

    Praying things will get better soon (financially) for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a lot of soups and I think my hubs prefers them to most casseroles. I am making minestrone for dinner and I'll throw a salad together too and he's good with that.

    I feel like we eat a lot of the same meals so thanks for the recipe...I'm always up for trying something new.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!