Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Friday, August 20, 2010

One of My Domestic Servants

I do believe that at some point every woman has walked into her kitchen, opened the refrigerator door, looked inside and with a sigh said "What are we going to have for dinner?"  While creating my shopping list, I have at times wondered "What do I feel like cooking/eating this week?".  I do not believe that I am alone there. So being just enough of a Type A person to drive my husband up a tree, I have come up with a plan that has helped me at these times.

Some years back I kept track of every dinner I made for the entire year. I wrote them on a calendar and then spent time putting them on spread sheet. Since it is just myself and hubby at home most lunches were leftovers from the day before and most breakfast was a choice of cereal (both hot and cold) or muffins/pancakes and I even marked the days we ate out. I also marked down the vacation weeks! Yes I am just enough of a Type A to do this for a full year! I bet you're glad you are not living at this house.  Any how I put it all in a 3 ring binder that I covered with fabric and added favorite recipes to it. I think you can click on the photo to enlarge it - if you want to - no pressure.











On the cover the verse is: "She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls" Proverbs 31:15 
Categories inside are: Beverages, Breakfast, Salads, Breads, Hamburger/Turkey, Casseroles, Soups/Stews, Desserts, Odds and Ends, Drying Guidelines (dehydrating) and Menus.

Two pages of recipe or menu are in a page protector (back to back) so when I splatter something the page stays clean. I took one page out of the protector to take a picture of it (the flash was too much for the protector).









 So when I am planning my week shopping and wondering what I want to cook I can look at this and plan around it. I may not cook the entire weeks worth of recipes but it sure is a great stating place. I will look at the week of menus and think "Wow we haven't had that in a while and "voila" I have dinner.

What do you do? Have a great weekend all, see you all Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Lynn I thought I was over organized. I've got nothing on you! Bet it is helpful though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!