Welcome to Life Through Bifocals

Life is not always clear and easy to figure out. So grab a cup of coffee and your bifocals and let's see what we can see.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy Birthday to a Special Son

Our son at 2 1/2 weeks old weight 8 lbs 5 1/2 oz


The Date: 12/30/72
The place: Albuquerque NM
The time: 8:15pm
The event: Labor!

It was a hard pregnancy with lots of little things having gone wrong and yet every time I heard the heart beat I knew I had to do whatever it would take to hold on to this baby. Hubby had to come get me and fly with me to our new home rather than getting our home all ready and picking me up at the airport. The doctor would only allow me out of the house for a few hours a week and the due date was soon. We were new to New Mexico and I desperately wanted to  get out of the house. I was bored and lonely so when we were invited to go to a drive-in movie the doctor said OK. The movie: a Peter Sellers comedy called "Where Does It Hurt?  It was a satire about how corrupt hospital administrators are and it was before the whole Monty Python type of movie became popular so this film was not well received but I remember it clearly because when the movie began that evening of  December 30th I went into labor. I knew where it hurt! We were in someone else's car so we stayed to see the movie. The whole time the other guy kept saying "Don't have the baby here, I just cleaned my car!" we would laugh and that would take my mind off what was happening to me. Once we got home we went to the hospital and I began the wait game. Back in those days, you went as long as it took to have the baby. Hubby would disappear for a bit and come back smelling of chocolate! Woman know that smell and since I couldn't eat he would go out in the hall! How dare he! We waited, and waited and waited. At one point oxygen was given to me because the baby was in distress! The baby! You can bet momma was in distress as well. Hubby was told that we may not both make it and who should they save. 24 hours later 12/31/72 8:15pm our son was born. I was weak but OK. He was good sized after all and although there would be years of frightening moments he was alive.   It would be 4 years before we would have him home longer than the hospital would have him. At his first birthday he only weighted 17 pounds 13 ounces. It took an entire year for him to double his weight. How big was your child on their first birthday? 

 He has grown up to be a strong, Christian man who still plays like a kid, loves his wife and children and works hards to provide for them.

He is much taller than me now and a lot bigger than the 21 inches, 8 lbs 5 1/2 ounces he started out as, but he will forever be my son - my little man.

Our Son at 7 months! weight 13 lbs 11 oz.

Walking at 1 year old and a weight of 17 pounds, 13 ounces


Happy birthday my little man.   I love you so much and I am so proud of you.
Oh and thank you for the tax deduction that year, it was great! We spent it, probably on you.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that's quite a birth story! So glad it had a happy ending and happy birthday to your 'baby boy' : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. At nine months when we brought Megan home she was only 14 lbs! By a year she was 23 1/4 and all I heard is how tiny she was. I can't even imagine a 17 lb at one year old!

    Happy Birthday to your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a wonderful story ... what an awesome tribute to your son. I laughed out loud at the line about spending the tax deduction on him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a sweet tribute to your son! Happy birthday to him. God had a plan for his life from the beginning....so glad to hear he's a Christian man....we need more of them! :)

    Wishing you and your family a Blessed New Year too!

    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy that he is well and strong. Can't imagine your fears for your precious son. I hope he has a wonderful Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a remarkable woman and I'm grateful both you and your son survived and thrived.

    I'm remembering our last New Year's Eve (2005) living in New Hampshire. We spent it with you and Gerry. It was a cold and snowy night out to dinner (don't remember where), but the food and company was warm and happy.

    Wishing you and Gerry a blessed, happy, and healthy 2011, with love -

    Anu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it wonderful that God loans us our kids for a while? He has blessed you.

    Re the workout, I like this one because it looks like something I can do. I'm all for it if I can have visible results in only 15 min a day. If God has a different plan for me, oh dear! I want this one! :) Getting my girls to do it with me makes it less expensive, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by today and if you left me a comment, thank you twice!